Seared Scallops With Apple Cider-Balsamic Glaze
SEARED SCALLOPS WITH APPLE CIDER-BALSAMIC GLAZE
10 jumbo sea scallops
3 slices bacon
10 ounces baby spinach
4 ounces mushrooms (I used a mix of chestnut, oyster, and shiitake)
grass fed butter
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (or pepper blend)
3/4 cup unfiltered apple cider
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon raw honey
1. Place sea scallops on paper towels and blot dry. Lightly season with salt and pepper on both sides. Set aside (keep on towels so they will stay dry, or they will not sear properly.)
2. In a large saute pan, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, chop into bits (when it cools off) and set aside.
3. Pour off all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from the pan and reheat to medium-high. Add mushrooms to pan and saute until mushrooms are soft and slightly browned. Add additional butter to pan, if the mushrooms soak up all the fat. When mushrooms are done, place them in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Add a couple more tablespoons of butter to the pan and reheat to medium-high. Working in batches, saute the spinach until it is all wilted. Add the mushrooms and bacon bits to the pan and stir to mix. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set pan aside.
5. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the apple cider, balsamic vinegar, and honey (amounts are estimated). Set aside. [Note: Don’t despair, it’s all about to come together quickly!]
6. Using a large cast-iron skillet or heavy frying pan, heat pan over high heat until searing hot. Add a thin layer of bacon fat and grass fed butter to the pan, then quickly place the scallops in the pan to sear.
7. Cook undisturbed for around 3 minutes, or until the bottom of the scallop is deeply browned/caramelized. Turn the scallops over and sear the other side in the same manner.
8. Remove the scallops to a shallow bowl or plate – tent with foil to keep warm.
9. Carefully add the cider mixture to the hot skillet and stir to mix in any caramelized bit in the bottom of the pan. (The fluids will boil and steam like crazy when they hit the hot pan, so be careful not to burn yourself.) When the liquid has reduced and thickened some (1 to 2 minutes), pour over the scallops.
10. Reheat the spinach, briefly.
11. To serve, place scallops over a bed of the spinach and mushrooms, and spoon some of the apple cider glaze over the top.